Monday, April 9, 2007

Lemon Curd: Second Edition

Oh lemon curd...how much do I love you? Too much. Too too much.

Does anybody know how to stop me from spooning lemon curd directly into my mouth? Help!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup lemon juice--about 4 lemons
Zest of 3 lemons
200g sugar
100g butter
3 eggs
2 egg yolks

Zest the lemons onto the sugar in a pot. Rub zest into sugar to form plump grains--this is from Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream recipe.

Add the butter and melt stove-top.

Pour the juice in.

Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks one by one.

Cook on medium-to-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to leave a trail. Don't worry about any egg coagulation--you'll get rid of it in the next step.

Cool a little, then sieve into containers.

Store in fridge.

Notes:

Doesn't taste very much different from my previous batch. This is not a bad thing as the last batch was pretty darn good.

Seems thicker--will find out tomorrow.

The last time, I made it, I added the butter after it cooled because this supposedly makes for a silkier curd. I don't think that's the case.

I wouldn't squeeze out that last bit of curd when you're sieveing it. You'll like 'grate' the coagulated bits of egg, and ruin the silky-smooth texture of the cake.

It makes quite a lot, certainly enough to fill several 9 inch cakes with plenty to spare.

When you bake it, it really sets up. But it's not liquid enough to smoothen out on its own, ie if you dollop it in, there will be peaks and stuff.

No comments: