Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Brownies: First Edition

In my world, brownies do not have nuts or chunks of anything (except maybe World Peace Cookie dough) and are not frosted.

I believe that Totally More-ishness can be achieved without the addition of that sort of thing.

Ingredients:

150g 70% chocolate--I used Valrhona Guanaja
120g flour
1tsp salt
100g brown sugar
40g cocoa powder
4 eggs--separated
125g butter

Melt butter with chocolate. Stir in salt and sugar. When cool, stir in 4 egg yolks (if you do this while it's hot, it may scramble).

Sift cocoa powder with flour.

Whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then stir in the chocolate mixture, then the flour.

Pour into 8 inch square pan and bake at 180C for 10 minutes, then turn down to 160C for 18-20minutes, or until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs.

Notes:

No crackly top. :(

Moist.

Not chocolatey enough, but I think this is partially due to the imbalance.

What imbalance? Too much salt, too little sugar. A touch of vanilla might be good--I did have the vanilla bottle out, but forgot.

I think I'm going to use the mixer next time. I'll whip the egg whites, add the egg yolks, then pour in the melted butter, chocolate and sugar mixture with the mixer still on.

No comments: